Thursday, January 5, 2012

Seeking Inspiration from the HGTV Dream Home


Who wouldn't find inspiration here? I am officially in love with this year's HGTV Dream Home. Like the rest of the world, I am diligently entering daily. I know I'm not going to win, but its fun to dream. Sigh.


I thought you guys might enjoy a little dreaming with me. Instead of dreaming of how I would live in the house, I want to dream about the details that can be used in our homes. Well, to be honest, in my home, but it applies to you too. :) So, let's make a series out of this. Shall we? A Sagebrush Ridge first!


The first thing that caught my eye as I took the tour was the designer's wonderful use of organic shapes and textures. The candle holder above is striking with the simple wooden boxes, which are a great place to hide keys and sunglasses btw. Its unique enough to stand on its own, no pair needed, and beautifully balanced with the lamp. Simplicity at its best. 


Speaking of organic...I love the idea of framing the mirror with scrap pieces of wood. Who doesn't have seemingly useless pieces of scrap laying around after a DIY project or two? I'm thinking, ooh there are those Thinks! again... I'm thinking this idea will work quite well to frame an over sized oil painting of my grandmother's. I tossed the chunky, 70's frame long ago, before I knew what I had in my hot little hands. I haven't found anything I liked well enough to fork out the cash. This might be an equitable, and unique, solution.


Swoon. Love the lamps in the Great Room. I have been toying with an idea for quite some time. This might be the push to actually get me to do it. Hubby has a pair of speaker stands that are just taking up space in our garage. They are probably 50 years old, heavy as all get out, and a complete blank slate of galvanized grey metal. Hmmm....


Blogland had a number of reproductions of this style mirror in 2011. Cheap 12 inch mirror tiles, a little molding and craft store bling could all easily be mounted to a sheet of plywood for a custom piece. Is it ever possible to have too many mirrors?


The designer paired it nicely with a console table. Yet another spot to store the daily necessities of life and the pretty vignettes that we all crave. I love this trend of small ottomans being tucked under tables. Its such a versatile idea. Its a place for a purse and coat to land, or a special gift awaiting delivery. Or, they can be pulled out for extra seating when you have a larger group than your normal arrangement can provide for.


This is brilliant! I have never been able to get on board with the white slip cover trend. I like the look as long as it is clean, and neatly tucked into place. In my house that wouldn't last ten minutes. Two big dogs, multiple teens at any given time, and our natural inclination to refuse to eat at a dining room table kind of ruin the hope that I could ever get this look to last. Instead, the designer used a textured chevron pattern in oatmeal. The upholstery is there to stay, no wash and go, but also no ironing and tucking. This is a solution that speaks to me. Fashion meets function. I know the slip covers are functional for some of you; I'm just not part of that clan :( At least not yet. 

I'll see you tomorrow with the net installment of this little journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment